Wednesday, April 28, 2010

To Swaddle or Not to Swaddle

We've been having sleeping issues.


From birth, Margaret enjoyed being swaddled.
As of the last few months, she's learned how to get out... a pretty strong little thing.
She'd wake up (1-2x each night), I'd go reswaddle, that would comfort her and she would fall back asleep.
This started to get old... because in my mind, there was no reason for me to get up- she was going 9-10 hours between feedings.
So I tried putting one arm out.

That didn't work either.
Next, we tried a double swaddle. Tom's sister, Kate, is the queen of swaddling, and she came over and showed me how to double swaddle. That night Margaret slept through the night.
(I'm sure you're thinking at this point- why don't you just stop swaddling?? I know, I know- it's me being dependent on that silly thing- I swaddled Henry until he was 6 months and he was the poster child for sleeping.. I was determined it was going to work)


Nope, that didn't work either.
Soon (like the next night) Margaret figured how to get out of that.

I'm too much of a chicken to let her sleep on her tummy at night... even though I've had success letting her do it for naps.


Now we've moved onto a new plan. No swaddle. Sometimes a paci. A lovey.

Margaret's lovey of choice.


The first night was a disaster.
She had a real hard time staying asleep.
We would go in there, quiet her down, and give her a paci.
Margaret would go back to sleep, only to wake up again, and again... and again.


Last night was a different story.
I put her down at 7:30
She woke up at 3:45. Tom went to go quiet her down.
She woke up at 5:15. I fed her.
She woke up at 8:30.
I consider this a success.
We'll see if it continues.




And here is the sweet girl napping right now.







3 comments:

Jenny said...

Rebekah, this is good! I really feel good about this! I know how hard it is for you to let go of the swaddle, but obviousley, it is working, little by little! Really, I am excited for you! And I love the documentation of every stage, she is the cutest little sleeper! The strongest : ) and the cutest! And is that lovey BURNT orange??? Just wondering! : )

Cassie said...

well, I am glad the end result was a success! :) She is so cute!! Love her leggings and her cute lovey of choice :) I WAS going to suggest "The Miracle Blanket" if you did want to keep swaddling. It keeps their arms down and is supposed to be "un-escapable":)

rebekah l. louis said...

cassie- i was using the miracle blanket AND another blanket to double swaddle. looks like i need my money back!
jenny- sorry, the owl is brown :)