We originally did not have plans to visit Mount Vernon, but I thought it would be fun to go on Mother's Day.
We choose not to go inside the Mansion. There was a long wait and we had some antsy children.
Running around the estate was right up their ally, though.
View from the Mansion to the Potomac
I really wanted to take a picture with Margaret Gray... she was having none of it. :(
George Washington's original tomb
His newer set up... in his will, he had requested to be moved here since the other site was deteriorating. Martha and other family members are buried there, too.
View from the wharf
Feeding grass to the goats. MG even kissed one. ewww.
Hike up the "Forest Trail". And boy was it a hike. I dragged the double stroller up the stairs/ hill while Tom pushed the other stroller with Simon in it.
At the top
Simon- ha. I knew he was crying, but I didn't realize that his "britches" had busted.
On the way home, we stopped for lunch (at 2:00) at this restaurant located between Mount Vernon and Alexandria. After waiting a while to talk to a hostess (who informed us it was going to be quite the wait for a table) we decided just to go home and go out for dinner.
We knew our kids wouldn't hold on much longer. Good decision.
After naps, we went to a Mexican restaurant across from our building
Waiting for our table
Thank goodness for our sweet waitress who humored our children. She even let them help with making our guacamole... which happened to be the best guacamole I had ever eaten.
Tom thought letting Simon suck on a tortilla was a good idea.
hmmmm...
I was a little nervous how dinner was going to go, but the kids pulled through and blessed me with a pleasant meal.
I was a little nervous how dinner was going to go, but the kids pulled through and blessed me with a pleasant meal.
And topped off the special day with some gelato.
1 comment:
Wow - the trip to Mount Vernon looked awesome! Glad you had a good Mother's Day!!
Post a Comment