I'm pretty sure most of the details are accurate ;)
Sunday, January 26th, I woke up not feeling quite right.
I felt real nauseated and my contractions were pretty consistent.
Knowing that my "go to" peeps were all at church, I thought it was ok to stay put.
But when the contractions (that weren't painful, just uncomfortable) became 3 mins apart, we decided to call our ("our"- ha... she'd babysat 2 times for us. ha) babysitter to see if she could come over.
She said she was 10 mins away and was on her way over.
I knew I wasn't in for real labor, but thought it was best to go get checked out.
When I got settled in in the Labor and Delivery triage, they checked me and I hadn't changed since my last appointment about 5 days ago- just 2 cm.
They wanted to keep me for a little while for monitoring, seeing that my contractions were so consistent.
Alrighty...
They checked me again 1.5 hours later- I had progressed to a 3... then an hour later to a 4.
Wowza. ok... here we go.
The doc on call, for some unknown reason, brought in a sono machine to make sure Camille was head down.
Well, turns out she wasn't.
Doc said if I continued to labor, she would have to do a C section.
We told her that we preferred that didn't happen and to please try a version... since I had a successful one before.
She agreed.
Pre finding out Camille was breech.
I was so happy to have some ice chips... hadn't eaten or drank anything that morning.
Got admitted to my L&D room.
They got my epidural set up.
Took me back to an OR... left Tom :( I wanted to cry when they asked him to wait outside while they tried the version.
I'm thankful I had had this procedure before with Margaret or I would have been terrified in that OR.
It was so sterile in there...cold on that table.
They gave me a spinal block... I wasn't so sure when I was supposed to say when, so it got a little high...
The doc (which was a fellow) and some residents successfully turned Camille.
They were excited about it being so smooth...
In my opinion, MG's was better... but I was grateful she cooperated!
They took me back to my L&D room and gave me a shot of Demerol to stop my contractions.
(if they hadn't slowed, they would have induced me. They didn't want to do so, seeing I was 2 days shy of 37 weeks)
This rocked my world.
The nurse told me I would feel like I had a cocktail and just to close my eyes and go with it.
I've had my shares of cocktails, and this was waaaaay worse!
Did I mention that I was numb from my chest down... waiting for the spinal block to wear off?
And then Camille's and my heart rate dropped pretty low (thanks, Demerol) so they gave me a shot of something else... man, this was rocking my world!!!!
Finally, block wore off, Demerol wore off, and contractions slowed way down...
started to feel more like myself.
My sweet L&D nurse.
She was fantastic.
I look like I felt.
Soooo......
They kept me in the hospital for monitoring until 5 the next day.
Yep- spent more than 24 hours in a L&D bed...
Do you know how uncomfortable those are?
And I was hooked up to an IV the whole time...
Also hooked up to fetal monitors... the gel gave me a very "angry" rash...
With the epidural catheter in my back...
And had to get a nurse to unhook me from the monitors every time I needed to use the potty...
Did I mention the IV???
OK, enough complaining.
Just waiting.
Thankfully, our sweet friends, the Watsons, relieved our babysitter and took our kids to spend the night at their house.
Tom went to pick them up later that Monday morning and brought them up to see me.
When they walked in, Simon said "Where's Camille?"
:(
Tom took the kids back home and by the time my mom arrived, it was time for me to go home!
It was all very crazy.
It was very good that they discovered Camille was breech and was able to turn her.
It was good I caught up on a little blogging.
It was good I got a new hospital cup.
It was a bit sad having gone through all that, only to leave with Camille still in utero.
It was good that she got to grow more....
It was good my mom came.
Ok... I'll stop this post...








No comments:
Post a Comment