Monday, January 24, 2011

Memory Monday

A couple of weeks ago, my mom sent me this link to John Piper's sermon on the value of memorizing scripture.
We were both amazed how he spends the first 12(ish) minutes reciting scripture.
Well, I said to my mom, "Ok. Mom. Our turn."
Her response, "Great idea. Can we start off with a short one?" :)


So our journey to hide God's words in our hearts begins.
I'm thinking we'll choose a different verse (s) weekly.
Also thinking we'll take turns picking the scripture.


I'm starting with this one from Isaiah:
"Now, O Lord our God, deliver us from his hand, so that all kingdoms on earth may know that you alone, O Lord, are God."
Isaiah 37:20


Now, I don't think I'll always give the reason why we pick certain verses, but since this is the 1st one, I'll explain.
I came across this verse last week in my BSF study.
King Hezekiah was asking God to deliver Jerusalem from Assyria... I love it- not to save himself from harm, but so that all kingdoms may know that his God was the one true God.
(feel free to read all of chapter 37... and to spoil the story for you- the Assyrian army never laid a finger on Jerusalem)
Our Bible study notes say:
Hezekiah understands that the greatest good is the revealing and honoring of God Himself and he sees his struggle as part of that purpose.


I'm hoping by having this scripture in my heart, I'll remember that God uses all things for His plan and that our purpose is to bring glory and honor to Him, who is worthy of our praise.

3 comments:

Amy Mc said...

Love it! Rocky and I just had the discussion last week about how we want to have a family scripture to memorize each week. Maybe we should all do the same one- you can pick em! :0)

Jenny said...

What a cool post! I love it! Us Burkharts would love to be put on the "mailing list" for the weekly scripture as well! Good idea Amy!

Megan said...

Thanks for sharing!!!!