This is how Margaret and I are feeling about her eating these days:
When we started with solids, we began with sweet potatoes. She ate them and didn't complain.
Next was carrots. Wasn't that crazy about them.
Peas- didn't mind them.
Apple Sauce- hated it.
Bananas- disgusted by them.
Pumpkin- tolerated it.
Then started to refuse all food.
She would eat a couple of bites and then turn her mouth into Fort Knox and push away the spoon.
When I handed her the spoon (which was probably a mistake??), she would try to eat whatever was on the spoon.
So my mom brain told me it wasn't that Margaret minded what I was serving her, it was how I was serving it. (well, apple sauce and bananas she does mind- hates it)
Ok, I can work with this, right? Well, she doesn't have the pincer grasp... or the control to self feed herself with a spoon, so that posed a problem.
Amy gave me the idea to roll her food into little balls. So I added a lot of cereal to some sweet potato (to thicken it up) and served it to her:
Huge mess.
I've also tried spreading the puree on a Baby Mum Mum and that works pretty well.
I've tried giving her puffs to pick up herself and sneak in some bites from a spoon... doesn't work.
(as I was typing that last sentence, I thought, "hmm... maybe God is trying to teach me a lesson in patience.")
I know (I think I believe) that Margaret's getting the nourishment she needs from me, but this situation has been driving me crazy!
So my plan now is just trying to introduce her to as many different flavors as possible and when she's able to better feed herself, then problem will be solved.... I hope.
I think this was just a fluke.... Margaret signing "all done".
And here's a video of her trying to eat her sweet potatoes all "rolled up" into a ball.
3 comments:
Love this post! She is so cute!!!! And you are doing a great job!!!! She is lucky to have such a wonderful mother!!!!
I'm sorry that the eating situation is frustrating right now...but on the bright side, you got some really cute "messy eating" pictures!
Good job on trying lots of different ways to get her to eat solid foods!
You knew I would comment on all the posts, right? :)
Okay, so I think you are getting somewhere! The balls looks like it works and this is really just a stage of transition, you know? I am feeling hopeful and i think you are doing an amazing job of trying new things! She is getting all she needs and heck, her brain sure is being fueled by whatever she is eating because the GIRL CAN SIGN!!!!!!!!! That was awesome!
Post a Comment