Monday, November 25, 2013

Owl Prowl


On October 6th, Henry participated in his 1st Fun Run.
His school puts on this run, called the Owl Prowl, for all the grades.
Each grade runs by itself.
The course is partly through the driveway of the school and also through blocked off streets in the neighborhood. 
Kindergarten only has to run a half mile.
Parents can run with their kid... Tom wanted to run with Henry, but I had volunteered during the race and someone had to be with MG and S.
I think Henry was ok with that. One of his friends gave his dad the boot before the race started. ha.
They also have members of the high school track team running with all the grades... encouraging the kids as they ran. Pretty cool. 

Henry was pretty nervous about it, so I practiced with him the day before... a very slow run of the route.
Kept reminding him that when I ran my 1st (and only) race, I didn't win, but I was so proud of myself for finishing.



I volunteered to help hold a direction sign during the race, but lucky for me, a sweet middle school girl took over my duty so I could watch Henry... even though I was a bit worried she wouldn't be paying attention and a kid would run the wrong way onto a busy street...

Tom got to capture these pictures, while I stood on one of the neighborhood street corners to cheer on our big guy as he ran by.


Henry is in the middle...

Getting pumped up

Woo Hoo!

Starting to get nervous

Man, the nail biting has come in full force this year

This picture makes me laugh... look at all those boys rearing to go... and then there is nervous Henry....

... who obviously got over his nerves and had a good start.
Until he accidentally tripped a girl and fell over her.
Scrapped his knee pretty bad, but got up and kept on going... bloody knee and all. 
We were very proud of him. Ha.

The other girl had some trouble getting over her tumble...




About to cross the finish line.

Proud of their brother. 
The way Simon said "Owl Prowl" was the cutest thing!

He finished!

No comments: