Thursday, April 26, 2012

Getting There

(I've got other posts to catch up on... but I'll go ahead and start with our Washington adventure)


We left for our 3 day trek to Washington, DC on Thursday, April 19th... right after Henry's 4 year and Simon's 4 month check up (do you realize how many shots I had to witness?!?!)

I really, really tried not to over pack, but going somewhere for a month with 3 young kids required some necessities. Something I really wished we could have brought- Simon's swing. Something we could have left behind- ????

We moved Henry to the "back back" (as my family used to call it). Not the safest option being in a high back booster, but it was the only thing that fit. And for our sanity, it was nice convenient that I could sit between Simon and Margaret and keep the kids happy  content... well, at least try to do so.  I don't think my feet ever touched the floor and my lap was never empty.... the things moms do :)



The 3 hour trip to Shreveport was fine. Shreveport wasn't in a direct route to DC, but I really, really wanted to spend a few seconds with my family.
Stopped off to see my grandmother on our way out to my parents'. I didn't want Simon to spit up all over his clothes in the car and couldn't get to his bag when we stopped... hence the nakedness.
Made it to my parents', where all the Lagersen cousins were waiting to play.
We celebrated my mom's and Tom's birthday with a cake.


Got on the road around 8:30 the next morning.
Our first stop was Vicksburg, Mississippi.

We ate PB and Honey sandwiches for lunch. Then back in the car.
Simon did pretty well this day. Only one time where he was pretty inconsolable.
(Happened to be when we were driving through Birmingham. Pointed out to Henry that Birmingham was going to be where we were moving next year... he got real sad and said "But I love my home, Mom". :( Broke my heart)
Whole apples- kept the kids occupied for a while. Also had puppets, movies, books, magnets, colors, stickers. Henry did well keeping himself happy playing with his cars and Playmobil men.

Stopped at a Sonic for dinner.
Kids fell asleep around 9.
Drove until 12:30 am and stopped in Bristol, Virginia... right at the Tennessee/ Virginia border.
Kids did well at the hotel.

Next day was going to be a shorter drive through Virginia. Left around 9 am.
Kids were pretty whiny/ grumpy that morning.  Glad we went as far was we did the day before.
Simon slept for a grand total of 30 mins that morning.

Stopped in Lexington for lunch. I really did my best to try to explain to Henry about the "shot heard 'round the world".... turns out that was Lexington, Massachusetts. ha- whoops.
But we did happen upon Washington and Lee's campus and ate our lunch while watching a Virginia Military Institute (I guess their campus is right next to W&L??)  baseball game. No pics- not enough hands.

Back in the car, the kids took naps. Although Simon took a long one, he was so done with being in the car and cried a lot. 

I'm pretty sure these are the Shenandoah Mountains. A very scenic drive.

 
Finally arriving in DC about 4ish on Saturday.
It was so nice to get out of the car!!

Got to our apartment and they had messed up and gave us a 1 bedroom. Thank goodness there was a pull out for Margaret and Henry. (our 2 bedroom was ready the following Monday afternoon) Right when we left to walk to dinner, the temperature dropped a good 30 degrees and started raining, but we made it to a nearby Chipotle. Went to bed early that night!

So... we're here!


1 comment:

Cassie said...

you are amazing!! earning all kinds of wonder mom points! :) and blogging on top of it all!! sounds like it went well for the most part and you are making great memories that you will look fondly on in the future! I think it is so cool to go on such an adventure!