We have packed in a lot of sightseeing this 1st week. It's so hard to stay inside when you know there is so much to see!
Our 1st full day here, a Sunday, was cold and rainy. We spent the morning driving to the burbs to hit up a grocery store.
After naps, we hit the streets. Really wish I had a rain cover for my stroller!
Since the National Archives is close, we decided to make it our 1st stop.
Being close to closing time plus the weather made for a perfect time to visit... no one was there.
You can't take pictures inside, so this is all we got of our visit.
I consider it a successful trip since Simon did not spit up on the Constitution.
After Tom got home from "work" (it's really a learning conference.. he sits in lectures all day) on Monday, we decided to just to take a stroll around the block.
Navy Memorial
These panels commemorate events in naval history.
The Lone Sailor and MG with matching pea coats
I don't remember what building this was in front of... do remember how cold it was and that I really didn't bring proper attire.
Tuesday
Decided to venture out to the nearby library for story time... only problem- the library wasn't open. Bust. Got my days mixed up.
So I checked a map and saw that the White House didn't look that far away- off we went. Half way there, I realized that it was further than I would have preferred, but I was determined to make it.
Oh my, how heavy Simon was getting and pushing that stroller was like pushing a bunch of boulders.
Ta Da! We made it.
Honestly, they could care less.
The walk back was a beast...
Wednesday
Tried story time again.
Margaret was not shy at all
That evening-
Museum of Natural History
Really wished the fellow tourist would have turned the camera so that we wouldn't be just standing by a donation box... oh well, the only family photo we have so far..
H was pretty pumped about the dinos
Thursday
Gave the apt pool a try... too bad my kids were too scared to get in.
I made Henry and Margaret give it a try, hoping they would see that with their floaties they wouldn't sink... still were nervous nellies.
Simon had fun with me though
That evening, walked over to the National Mall
I've had the worse luck with my camera on this trip... always have it on a wrong setting making the pics all crazy-like...
So glad I stole this idea from the Hartzlers
(You should have heard the squeal come out of her... scared Henry enough that he wouldn't take a turn)
Friday
The kids and I ventured to a Sculpture Garden.
It was very windy and quite chilly. The bad thing about living in an apartment, you don't want to go back upstairs to change clothes once you've walked outside and realized that you dressed inappropriately.
That evening,
found a park located near the Potomac River.
Kids were so happy to play there.
Walked over to the Jefferson Memorial
I took the bigs up to see the statue while Tom stayed down with the stroller.
I've learning something about Margaret this trip, she doesn't quite respect the ropes keeping you away from statues/ sculptures/ etc. She was REAL happy that I kept her from climbing at the feet of ol' Tommy. I was REAL happy that I had just seen a sign asking for quiet at the monument.
We attempted another family photo, but as Henry ran to join in, he fell and scraped his hands.
Fail.
Fail.
He wouldn't take his hands off his chest.
Walking back to the car, we ran into George Mason (apparently he was an author of the Bill of Rights)
You can pick your friends. You can pick your nose. But you can't pick your friend's nose.
Henry + George = BFF
Finally decided to give into his sleepiness on the way back to the car
Saturday
Spent the morning around the Tidal Basin
Ooo, it was chilly!
Found the Franklin D Roosevelt Memorial... this is one of my favorites
Mosey and Eleanor
Loved her some Fala
Henry was thrilled to be in the cold
Was cool to see the new MLK Memorial
The inscription reads "Out of the mountain of despair, a stone of hope"
Walked on over to see Honest Abe
We had a picnic lunch
When I've ventured out on my own, Simon will never fall asleep. He did twice this morning, without any fuss... of course while Tom was with me.
He also took a 2 1/2 hour nap when we got back to the apt... what?! I'm not holding my breath, though.
After naps, we went out in the drizzle to the Air and Space Museum.
Simon loves talking to his hands
H was excited about this red airplane
Margaret, I don't think you're supposed to be standing there.
And back home in the rain...
That made me tired...
4 comments:
Wow! Are you on crack? I mean that in the nicest way possible. How in the world did you have the energy to pack all of that into a week? Amazing!
Also, I love the picture of you guys in front of the white house and your comment about the kids not caring. I can totally hear you saying, "See guys? That's where the president lives! Isn't that neat?" he he.
We miss you, but it's fun to see all that you've been up to!
How fun!! What is there left to do in D.C?? I am so impressed with all that yall have done already. You inspire me to get out more with my 2! I always think, if Rebekah can do it I can too so stop complaining! Miss you already. call you soon.
Did I or did I not just laugh through that whole post?! Like you were sitting right next to me telling me about it! Glad y'all are taking it all in!!
I loved looking at all of your pictures! Your kids are adorable! Glad you guys are having so much fun. Henry, MG and Simon are lucky to have a mom who wants to get out and show them everything! Hopefully the weather will stay nice for the rest of your trip.
Post a Comment